Asks users’ consent for using cookies or redirects them out of your site.
To comply with the May 2011 EU cookie law whose enforcement will start in May 2012 for UK website owners, this plugin welcomes your first time visitors with a custom message asking for their consent using cookies on your website. If they disagree, any cookie already sent is removed and the visitor is redirected out of your site. It is a solution that strictly complies with the law.
You can customize the message displayed as well as the text of the ‘I agree’ button and of the ‘I disagree’ link.
This plugin was written with the EU cookie law in mind but can be used for any terms and conditions you need your visitors to approve before viewing your site.
The easy way
- Download the plugin – it will come as a .zip file
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Add new
- Under the ‘Install Plugins’ header, click ‘Upload’
- Click the ‘Choose File’ button, browse your computer to find the .zip file downloaded at step 1, click ‘Install now’
- Click the ‘Activate plugin’ link
The show off way
- Download the plugin .zip file
- Unzip the file
- Upload the ‘cookie-warning’ directory to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
To customize the message displayed
Go to ‘Settings > Cookie Warning’. On that page, you will be able to change: the message displayed, the redirect link – when visitors do not accept the cookies,
the wording of the ‘Accept’ button and ‘Do not accept’ link.
How can I preview the changes I make to my cookie warning message?
The point is to display the message on the user’s first visit only, which makes it tricky to preview the changes you make to the cookie warning message…
Two ways around that:
- View your site in a web browser with which you haven’t viewed the site yet.
Where do I go to report bugs, for complaints, moans, suggestions or to sing your praises?
Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, alternatively, leave a comment below!
Current version 1.3
- Fixed bug in ajax call to clear cookies.
- Attempt at fixing scrolling bug on iPhone.
- Doesn’t add ‘#’ to the url anymore when user approves or rejects message
- Message doesn’t appear at all for users who disabled cookies in their browser
- Corrected incompatibility with a series of gallery/slideshow plugins and themes
- Corrected bug so that notification is displayed only once; used to work only of home page visited first.